Monday, September 15, 2014

Many times, in fact too often, I have been given the opportunity of working with dogs that have been emotionally compromised. Too often it is by the trainer their well meaning owners have previously hired!
Dog training should at no time be a reckless money making ruse with dogs as a quick and easy means to a paycheck.
Of course I am not saying dog trainers should not be paid, but that any money made should never have any dog's well being destroyed to make it!
This is to be taken very seriously.
I am talking about trainers who pit their ego against whatever dog or puppy they are training and worse the use of electronic collars to get the job done! Is this really training or is it scaring and brutalizing? Does this require any talent?
Quite the opposite!
Yes dogs need a 'pack leader" but being a leader does not mean being a mean leader.
Wolves do live in a socially structured pack but it is not run with cruelty!
 Leadership is much less effective when it is mean or scary and when any wild wolf is in any way physically forceful to any wolf in his or her pack more than a little that member will leave the pack for good! This is their instinct!
Do we want our dogs wanting to leave our "pack"? 
I personally want a happy well adjusted dog. Yes one who obeys not out of fear, but
because of good training, love and respect.
I have been professionally training dogs for over 35 years.
I feel it is my responsibility to instill confidence in the dogs I train and at the same time stop their unwanted behaviors and have them obey their owners!
 I want to leave their lives better because of my training and I want to leave their people happy too. Both with their dog and my training!





No comments:

Post a Comment